2015년 10월 10일 토요일

Exam Paragraph 1st Draft

Mid-Term Exam Paragraph 1st Draft

[Picture A]
Heeju Park
EW2 - 020
October 10, 2015







Why is raising the minimum wage inconducive to workers in Korea?

 Raising the minimum wage in Korea has a negative influence on workers for two reasons. I think pay increase is not always positive. First of all, if the minimum wage is raising, there is a high probability of downsizing. Because the company takes more costs, the demand of labor is lower (See the [Graph A]). For example, an increase in the value of the hourly real minimum wage from $5 to $6 leads to a decrease in employment from 32,000 hours to 24,000 hours (a) and an increase in unemployment (b). It will affect workers directly, and they will take more work burden and stress. Second, the existing workers are worry about unstable employment, so they will frequently underpaid for doing the same work. For example, this year, the minimum wage in Korea is 5,580 Won. Like [Graph B], it is on a rising trend. According to the Asian Economic News on 2015, despite of raising wage, apartment security guards in Bucheon had been working in same work conditions. They had been paid in last minimum wage, and they had been worked in less rest time. For these two reasons, I think it is necessary to recognize that raising the minimum wage is not always conducive to workers.

[Graph A]

[Graph B]



[Reference]
(1) Byrum, G. (Ed.). (2015, May 26). Raise the Minimum Wage [Picture A]. Retrieved from http://letstalknation.com/raising-minimum-wage-los-angeles/ 

(2) Effects of Increasing the Real Minimum Wage [Graph A]. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://2012books.lardbucket.org/books/theory-and-applications-of-microeconomics/s14-03-minimum-wage-changes.html

(3) [Graph B]. (2015, August 5). Retrieved from http://entertain.naver.com/read?oid=022&aid=0002886325



댓글 4개:

  1. Hi Heeju,

    I read your post enjoyable. It's very interesting to me. I don't know that pay increase's problem. However, part time job inappropriate your argument. I think that part time job's pay should be increased. One problem with the increase is inflation by increasing. It is just my oppinion.

    Have a nice day,
    Hyuncheol

    답글삭제
  2. Dear Heeju,

    I did not know that if minimum wage rise, these results are appeared. Thanks to you, I get to know these facts. But I'm not of like mind in you. It rather than unconditional impression, is the impression of as much as developed countries. Our country can buy a Big Mac one must work 40 minutes, while Norway may buy a Bic Mac one must work 20 minutes. The more time passes, the difference is large. So I agree raise the minimum wage.

    Have a nice day,
    Yeji Kim

    답글삭제
  3. Hi Heeju,

    As a person who are interested in reading some more articles where have personal opinions about social issues, I like your choice of subject! Though I don't think the increase of minimum wage is the main trigger for the various negative consequences that have shown above at this stage where the minimum wage is ridiculously low considering the cost of living in South Korea, I still appreciate how you analysed the graphs into the text. I can see some spelling mistakes from the title, so it is fixed your writing would be better. I hope this helps! Have a good evening.

    Best,
    Sinae

    답글삭제
  4. Dear Heeju,

    Hi my friend Heeju,
    Whenever I heard your title in our last class, it was really fresh, so I wanted to read your writing. Usually, people think in contrast. Do you agree with your topic? Anyway, I reconsider about raising the minimum wage, and I agree with you. You wrote really good, so I was persuaded by you.
    I want to recommend you three things. First of all, you need to more spacing in your 1st sentence. It is good for you to look on page 6 in our textbook. There’s a writing form to be followed. Second, you’d rather change the letter ‘pay’ to ‘paying’ in the 2nd sentence. Maybe you wanted to write ‘pay increase’ as subject. To become a subject, you need to use gerund instead of verb. Finally, it’ll be better that change the concluding sentence. When I read your paragraph, I felt you thought raising the minimum wage is bad thing, especially you already wrote ‘negative’ in your topic sentence. However, the concluding sentence is a little bit neutral. I want to know about your stance.

    Thanks,
    Jihyeon

    답글삭제